Poulouriscaig was probably settled some time between 1815 and 1823. The 1835 Sutherland Estate Rent Roll for the parish of Farr lists 7 tenants living there.
Poulouriscaig is a typical coastal post-Clearance settlement, where all the resourcefulness inherent in the Highland character had to be called on to ensure survival in a harsh, inhospitable terrain. Tenants were expected to augment their diet with fish but the coastal cliffs are very high and rugged and although Poulouriscaig is thought to mean “Pool of the Anchorage” fishing was not an easy option.
The houses have lost their roofs but most of the walls are still intact and the land is still green in contrast to the surrounding heather, clearly showing where each boundary existed.